[Talk-us] suburban superblocks that nobody wants to survey

Nathan Mills nathan at nwacg.net
Sat Mar 17 21:16:02 GMT 2012

On 3/17/2012 10:20 AM, Reiser, John J. wrote:
> What about using county or state-wide parcel data for address points?
> Centroid of each real property lot. There's many problems with doing this
> for a whole state; NJ has many cases of one house sitting on multiple lots
> (old subdivisions of 25'x60', later built as 75'x60' or so without
> consolidation of the lots) but for newer subdivisions this would work
> fine. NJ data is public domain, don't know about other states and counties.

Where I map, the address point data is indeed public domain (when it's
available), but it takes ages for the public sites to be updated and
nobody's terribly interested in fixing that given the budget situation
they're dealing with. I did an import of address point data for four
counties in Arkansas, but I couldn't really get consensus that it was
what the community wanted so I didn't continue beyond that.

-Nathan