[Talk-us] [Imports] Uploads to City of Salisbury, MD

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Mar 22 10:40:20 GMT 2012

Importing data correctly is hard, especially the first time. I'm glad
you've come to the list. I'd be curious to know if you didn't notice
the warnings on the wiki to contact the community first; I've gone
ahead and added the warning banner to the ogr2osm, shp2osm,
shp-to-osm, and shape2osm pages in case people find those before the
other import pages.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> If there are duplicated ways and nodes, perhaps reverting is the best
> option?

Unfortunately I'd agree that reverting these changesets will be the
easiest and best course of action. Trust me that you'll spend a long
time cleaning up dupe nodes and ways. Some of the buildings have up to
four dupe nodes and 3 dupe ways, all from different changesets.

I've done some reversion before with the JOSM plugin, so if you'd like
I can help do this. I'd like to help you do another successful import,
so please consider sharing the original GIS files and your ogr2osm
translation files.

I very much appreciate your interest in OSM and your effort, so please
do not let this dissuade you from continuing!

-Josh