[Talk-us] Remapping coastlines

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 19:15:43 GMT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 4:22 AM, Toby Murray wrote:
>>
>>  I poked around
>> looking at some NHD data but didn't see an explicit coastline data
>> set.
>

> I believe feature code 44500 (Sea/Ocean) is what OSM would call Coastlines -
> and normally excluded from NHD imports, and contained in the ?area? NHD
> datasets.

OK... I must be doing something wrong. I'm trying to get shapefiles
out of the national map viewer. In the shopping cart it clearly says
"shapefile."  But it keeps sending me a file geodatabase which I can't
read as it requires ArcGIS or custom compiling OGR with the ESRI SDK
linked in. Which... I could probably do but I have too many things on
my plate to mess with that right now.

It would be awesome if someone else could either do the coastlines or
at least help me out by getting some usable coastline data from
somewhere.

Toby