[Talk-us] Proposed import: GeoBase Coastlines into Northwest Washington state

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Mar 25 00:50:13 GMT 2012

I propose replacing the PGS coastlines (largely imported by blars) in
Northwest Washington state with GeoBase coastlines. GeoBase data covers part
of NW Washington state (e.g. Canadian NHD area 08HAD00 covers the Washington
coastline from Port Angeles to Port Townsend). Most of the existing PGS
coastlines are scheduled for removal and this is a higher accuracy data
source.

GeoBase is well documented from Canada, so I'm just sending this to
talk-us at .

Sample data, imported from the same source, can be seen with the BC
coastline from Alaska to Vancouver.

I will not be replacing any objects except coastlines from PGS and
coastlines traced from landsat or other low resolution imagery.

The impacted coastlines will stretch from the northwest tip of the coastline
near Neah Bay to Port Townsend and the Canada-US border to the coastline
west of Anacortes as well as the San Juan islands.

The tagging will be natural=coastline source=GeoBase, with appropriate
changeset source tags indicating the exact file. The ways will undergo a
mild simplification to reduce overnoding.

I believe the basins I will be looking at are 08MHA00, 08MHF00, 08HAC00,
08HAD00, 08HA0X2