[Talk-us] Proposed import: GeoBase Coastlines into Northwest, Washington state

Wim Lewis wiml at hhhh.org
Wed Mar 28 07:27:16 BST 2012

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 17:50:13 -0700, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> I propose replacing the PGS coastlines (largely imported by blars) in
> Northwest Washington state with GeoBase coastlines. GeoBase data covers part
> of NW Washington state (e.g. Canadian NHD area 08HAD00 covers the Washington
> coastline from Port Angeles to Port Townsend). Most of the existing PGS
> coastlines are scheduled for removal and this is a higher accuracy data
> source.

I've retraced significant chunks of the coastline around Hood's Canal
and the Olympic Peninsula from higher-resolution imagery and occasional
local knowledge (inlets, flats, rocks, spits). I'm all in favor of
importing higher quality coastline, since PGS is fairly coarse, but I
hope that it is done in a way that doesn't destroy other work that's
been done.