[Talk-us] Using TIGER to find missing road segments in OSM after license change

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Mar 29 14:11:04 BST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>>> I was thinking more about using TIGER 2011
>>> to find roads that seem to be missing in the OSM database. My PostGIS
>>> skills are nil, but it seems like it should be a fairly trivial query
>>> to buffer the
>>> OSM ways and find TIGER segments which don't intersect the buffered ways.
> [ ... ]
>> I started playing with this last night and ended up with the Chicago area
>> metro extract from Mike and the Cook County TIGER roads data as layers in
>> QGIS. Next up is to play with various queries to find missing roads in OSM.
>> I like the idea of buffer and joining as a start and will probably move over
>> to PostGIS to do that.
>
> We used OpenJUMP and the RoadMatcher plugin in the early days of
> Canadian imports to generate lists of matching or missing roads.

I've actually just converted the conflation JOSM-plugin to use the
Java Conflation Suite (JCS), which RoadMatcher is based on. I don't
expect to have RoadMatcher-like capabilities in there for quite a
while, but I should soon at least be able to find which segments don't
have a match in OSM based on string similarity (e.g. Levenshtein) and
curve similarity (e.g. Hausdorff, Frechet).

-Josh