[Talk-us] Using TIGER to find missing road segments in OSM after license change

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Mar 29 15:10:47 BST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> After loading Cook County TIGER road features and OSM linear features into
> PostGIS, I ran a simple query to find how well the roads matched:
>
> SELECT a.name, b.fullname, ST_HausdorffDistance(a.geom, b.geom) as dist
>      FROM cook_tiger a, cook_osm b
>      WHERE (a.geom && b.geom) AND ST_HausdorffDistance(a.geom, b.geom) <
> 0.0005
>      LIMIT 50
>
> This returned results that made sense (the names matched in all 50 results).
>
> I removed the LIMIT clause and let it run before going to work to see how
> many of the TIGER records match existing OSM features.
>
> Next up is building a table of TIGER -> OSM matches and using that to find
> TIGER rows that don't have a corresponding OSM feature.
>
> If anyone has any ideas for speeding this up I'd love to hear it. It took
> well over a couple hours to run one county. There are a lot of counties in
> the US.

Very cool! To speed this up perhaps try limiting the number of times
ST_HausdorffDistance is executed. First only run it for ways which are
"close", such as falling inside a buffer, or even faster inside a
bounding box. For a trivial speedup generate a table with distances
first, then use the WHERE clause. However I have no idea how to form
such queries!

-Josh