[Talk-us] Using TIGER to find missing road segments in OSM after license change

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 16:06:47 BST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Kristian M Zoerhoff <zoerhoff at sdf.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:53:55AM -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> > On 3/29/2012 10:49 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> > >I'm going to look at this same problem for Salt Lake County just to see
> > >if any different issues arise for a different geography, and hope to
> > >provide some more input soon.
> >
> > It would be useful to test an area where the TIGER data is rather
> > imprecise and the OSM data has been fixed to match aerials. Orange
> > County, FL was like this as of whatever TIGER data was imported, but
> > the latest data may be much better. If the latest TIGER data is
> > improved, you might be able to test with the older TIGER data.
>
> Since Ian is already in Cook County, IL, he can move next door to McHenry
> County, which I spent ages fixing up over the last year or so. Cook County
> itself still has a lot of unfixed TIGER roads, especially in its southern
> half.

One of the main reasons I started in Cook County was because there was a
fairly high diversity of edits. Lots of improved TIGER data and lots of
unimproved TIGER data in OSM that has since been improved in TIGER 2011
(especially in the south, as you mentioned).

I'll add McHenry County, too, since the OSM data I grabbed spills into
McHenry a bit, too.