[Talk-us] Fixing TIGER street name abbreviations

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:13:12 BST 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com> wrote:
> ISTM this might be a good "mechanical turk" application if there is
> genuine concern that there will be a substantial error rate (my
> point-of-view as a social scientist is that a hypothesized 1/1000
> error rate is pretty darn low, but I can appreciate that some might
> have more exacting standards), either implemented on the web or as a
> JOSM plugin.  Anything beats tedious, manual ad-hoc editing whenever
> there's a slight geometry change with the accompanying JOSM nags.

Well to put a scope on things, Ian and I were playing around with some
queries on IRC yesterday. Here is the result. This is the breakdown of
the values for the tiger:name_type tag for all version 1 ways. So most
of them will have last been touched by the original TIGER upload
although way splitting means there will be a few in here from other
users and may already be un-abbreviated. But I expect that to be a
pretty small fraction.

http://pastebin.com/LWyejSMr

Obviously the values at the bottom are all silly. Probably the result
of merging ways. This isn't going to help anyone and definitely needs
manual cleanup: Ln; Rd; Dr; Dr

But the top few values are obviously what we would want to focus on
with this bot.

Toby