[Talk-us] Fresno castradal imports

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri May 4 20:18:58 BST 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do those individual polygons have any useful information on them (addresses,
> for example)? If so, we should generate addr points from their centroids.
>
> Either way, we could save useful OSM information by creating a new polygon
> from the outside edges of each block. basically, remove all overlapping
> nodes except the ones on the outside. This way we maintain (semi-)useful
> landuse information and remove the extremely noisy tax plat information
> that's there already.

No, there is no address information. The only "real" OSM tag on these
plot borders is landuse=residential. All the other tags are either
redundant geometric information (area, width, depth) or internal
Fresno GIS values.
Example:

Which is why they are useless. I would call this importing for the
renderer. We don't really want the map *tiles* to "bloom" we want the
map *data* to bloom and then the tiles can reflect this. This land
parcel information does the former but not the latter.

In the area I was just browsing, the landuse=commercial areas *might*
be worth leaving since they aren't as prolific and do convey at least
some useful information.

Toby

Toby