[Talk-us] Fresno castradal imports

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri May 4 20:22:39 BST 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Do those individual polygons have any useful information on them
> (addresses,
> > for example)? If so, we should generate addr points from their centroids.
>
> Why?  We have these new things called computers that find centroids
> really well.  And the way it's mapped now, it makes it really easy to
> change a specific lot if the land use changes.

Right. So the computer can find the centroid and generate the addr: point
for us. Perfect. (I realize you're saying the data should stay in OSM, but
read on...)

> > Either way, we could save useful OSM information by creating a new
> polygon
> > from the outside edges of each block. basically, remove all overlapping
> > nodes except the ones on the outside. This way we maintain (semi-)useful
> > landuse information and remove the extremely noisy tax plat information
> > that's there already.
>
> Sure, it's noisy, but it's not like we don't have tools to squelch
> what's not interesting for a specific use case or edit session.

The problem with this import is that is the complete opposite of the "on
the ground" rule. There is absolutely no one but the external source of
that import that can improve the data. I have the same opinion of other
boundaries (I can't go to the coordinates of a particular node along that
way and see the boundary on the ground, verifying it with my GPS), but can
live with it when they're big and unobtrusive.