[Talk-us] Fixing TIGER street name abbreviations

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Fri May 11 02:27:18 BST 2012

Sorry, I should have been clearer, the results I posted were from my quick
test.  I just wanted to report the abbreviations I saw as possible
additions to the list in Serge's script.  And to give an idea of which
showed up most either for scripting or if someone wanted to handle the
lesser used ones manually.

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> > On 5/10/2012 4:08 PM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> >>
> >> I've been testing a script to do this.
> >>
> >> Here it is:
> >

> >  Thanks for posting it.   I don't see where it expands directionals; I
> don't
> > see the same thing Dale saw:
> >  "5141 instances of E changed to East" for example.
>
> It doesn't expand directionals, and it only touches ways with tiger
> tags, so I suspect Dale is looking at the wrong code, or the wrong
> output, or something else.
>
> >  If it doesn't expand directionals, I believe that it should where the
> TIGER
> > hint is available "tiger:name_direction_prefix".   Otherwise we'll still
> end
> > up with endless nagging over
>
> Okay, let's talk about this then. It was originally outside the scope
> of our discussion, but I'm happy to add it- it won't be more than a
> another few lines of code and another lookup table.
>
> >   Warning - abbreviation in 'E Pond Scum Street'
> >
> >  when uploading.
>
> Please do not upload the output!
>
> 1. We should all agree on the correct output.
> 2. We should organize the right account to upload with.
> 3. We should add tags to the uploaded changesets.
>
> - Serge

Dale Puch