[Talk-us] Fixing TIGER street name abbreviations

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri May 11 05:27:59 BST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I came up with a rare possibility for error.
> The original "st something st" was manually expanded to "st something
> street"  your checking for a single st, and there would be.  Or am I missing
> another check?

It checks for one and ONLY one possible abbreviation to expand. If
there are more than one it punts and ignores the way. This is a very
conservative approach which is probably good at least for a first
pass. Maybe if the first run goes well we can see how many problems
are left and look at refining things for a second pass to catch more
difficult ones. Or not...

Toby