[Talk-us] Fixing TIGER street name abbreviations

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri May 11 14:45:33 BST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Clarity!  The abbreviations are just that, they mean the full word, and are
> spoken that way, but written and displayed as the abbreviation.  I also
> disagree I have never know anyone that said "whatever A V E"  they do not
> spell it out, they say the word the abbreviation stands for.  Same for St,
> Dr ect.

What are you disagreeing with?  I've known streets that were called
"Whatever Ave" (Rhymes with "Whatever Have").  Not "Whatever Avenue".
And certainly not "Whatever A V E".

> It is a LOT easier to abbreviate from the full word than to go the other
> way.

Not really.  Is "1515 South West Shore Boulevard, Tampa" abbreviated
"1515 S West Shore Blvd, Tampa", or is it abbreviated "1515 S W Shore
Blvd, Tampa"?  If you want the answer, ask usps.com.

The only way to capture the full information is to have additional
tags telling you what the base is.  And if you do that, abbreviating
or not abbreviating doesn't matter.