[Talk-us] Fixing TIGER street name abbreviations

Fri May 11 19:21:13 BST 2012

At 2012-05-11 10:20, David ``Smith'' wrote:
>Third, I suggest retaining the abbreviated form in a tag like abbr_name.
>Ideally, this should be the exact abbreviated form used on signs, if
>that's consistent.  Getting this right requires local knowledge, but
>TIGER's abbreviation might be better than nothing. I'm sure some will
>disagree with that point.

Better yet, since a proper expansion bot has to chop up the name into its
components, why not take the opportunity to advance the project by tagging
(and re-abbreviating if necessary) those individual components (e.g.
street:dir_prefix, street:name, street:type, street:dir_suffix)? That, I
could support. One field with the full name for the text-to-speech
consumers, and another set of fields to properly identify the street the
way others do.

>Fifth, renderers must take care in abbreviating street names. For example,
>Mapquest Open turns Lane Avenue into Ln Ave, where only the last word
>should be abbreviated. To eliminate guesswork, renderers can use the
>abbr_name tag, if present.

Wouldn't happen with street:name=Lane, street:type=Ave (since it would not
speak street:name verbatim)