[Talk-us] Fixing TIGER street name abbreviations

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Fri May 11 21:17:07 BST 2012

I understand the script checks for only one instance of the abbreviation.
My point was what is someone manually expanded ONE of the abbreviations,
leaving "st something street"?  Is that checked for?  The question also
applies to "Dr something Dr" previously changed to "Dr something Drive",
and possibly directionals as well.  Serge seems to be doing a good job with
this, and this is just feedback so there aren't any incorrect expansions.

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think I came up with a rare possibility for error.
> > The original "st something st" was manually expanded to "st something
> > street"  your checking for a single st, and there would be.  Or am I
> missing
> > another check?
>
> It checks for one and ONLY one possible abbreviation to expand. If
> there are more than one it punts and ignores the way. This is a very
> conservative approach which is probably good at least for a first
> pass. Maybe if the first run goes well we can see how many problems
> are left and look at refining things for a second pass to catch more
> difficult ones. Or not...
>
> Toby

Dale Puch