[Talk-us] U.S. inland waterways

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 00:20:03 BST 2012

On 5/16/2012 6:48 PM, Dale Puch wrote:
> I found this at http://www.ndc.iwr.usace.army.mil/data/dictionary/ddnwn.htm
> Data is here http://www.ndc.iwr.usace.army.mil//db/waternet/data/ but
> not in shp format so someone would need to do some format translation.
> There are lots of other sets of data and perhaps one of those has
> something even more along the lines you want.

Thanks for the link. I found it in shapefile format:
http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_atlas_database/2011/

So far the depths seem to jibe with other sources, and the "functional
class" looks like a good way to classify waterways, absent more specific
local regulations.

Any objections to continuing to use ship=yes for navigable waterways,
and a new deep_draft=* tag for ocean vessels?