[Talk-us] U.S. inland waterways

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Fri May 18 09:39:07 BST 2012

On 17/05/2012 19:24, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

> Basically I'm tagging general characteristics of waterways. It seems the
> categories will be:
> *maintained for deep draft ocean vessels
> *maintained for shallow draft barges and pleasure boats
> *not maintained, possibly open to pleasure boats
>
> I don't see any such values in the Seamark Tag Values table. The closest
> is depth_max (shouldn't this be maxdepth, to match such tags as
> maxheight?), but there don't seem to be legal depth restrictions on most
> waterways here.

The seamark tags are aligned on the IHO-S57 Object & Attribute catalogue
and are aimed at the generation of navigation charts, so are unlikely to
provide for your needs.

I have not come across tags more detailed than "boat=yes" for general
waterway data. Even that tag is ill-defined - nobody is sure whether it
is an indication of permission or of navigability.