[Talk-us] looking for an import-related tool, if it exists

Hillsman, Edward hillsman at cutr.usf.edu
Fri May 25 21:26:39 BST 2012

One of my colleagues is working on a project for a US federal agency, using a tool that has been designed to work with street data in OpenStreetMap's XML format and create an ESRI "network dataset". However, the agency wants to use the current TIGER data in the analysis, instead of OpenStreetMap data, because so much of the OSM street data in the US is still the older TIGER data. Otherwise, he would use OSM street data, which is already in the necessary format and is, on balance, probably better. The student who is handling the data on this project has looked without success for tools that can read TIGER data and convert it to OSM's XML format. He is hoping that such a tool might exist, based on or related to the tools that were used to import TIGER data into OSM in the first place. Once he has TIGER in the XML format, he says he can use the OSM2NetworkDataset (osm2nds) tool from 52north to automatically build an ESRI network dataset from OSM data, but it will not work directly with TIGER. I think it is something of a long shot, but thought I would ask here whether anyone knows of software that can do the necessary conversion.

I hasten to add that there is no interest here in trying to import the data into OSM, and I apologize if anyone receives multiple copies of this request from the cross-posting.

Edward L. Hillsman, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida
4202 Fowler Ave., CUT100
Tampa, FL  33620-5375
813-974-2977 (tel)