[Talk-us] Railway start and end dates?

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun May 27 20:23:10 BST 2012

Nathan Edgars II writes:
 > Why when the tracks were removed? What if a bridge was washed out and
 > the tracks beyond were left to rust?

What about (say) the Brooklyn Cooperage line out of St. Regis Falls?
It was lain, torn up supposedly for good, and laid down again.

start_date1 and start_date2?

 > > And you don't need start_date:railway, because you've already created
 > > a relation for most every railway, so put start_date on the relation.
 > >
 > This only works if the entire line opened at once, which is only true
 > about half the time.

... and then there's railroad yards, where tracks get laid and removed
and laid back again practically on a yearly basis. I don't think we'll
ever have perfection for tags. It's better to see if there's already a
tag documented to have the meaning you want. If there is none, then
pick a new tag whose name seems to make sense, so that people won't
*grossly* misuse it, and then document it in the wiki.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog