[Talk-us] My personal Difficult USA Mapper situation update

Clay Smalley claysmalley at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 14:25:59 GMT 2012

In this specific case, I have been marking Texas frontage roads the same
way you have, and it annoys me as well when NE2 changes this.

I think, however, that it's more important to keep the data open and
editable by anyone. There needs to be a better way to solve disputes like
this, without imposing a blanket punishment on everyone, when the vast
majority of us have done nothing wrong.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Sam Iacullo <sjiacullo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This email will be divided into two parts. The first contains specifics
> about the email that touched off the discussion about mapper issues, which
> I will call "COMPLAINT'. If you want to skip this section for my
> opinion/commentary about the issue at large, you can scroll down to "MY TWO
> CENTS"
>
> COMPLAINT
> Since my personal situation apparently lit up a bit of a firestorm, I'd
> just like to bring to light exactly what happened in my situation. In the
> spirit of keeping this entire discussion public, my request for him to
> refrain from editing things that were already edited was such.
>

> >On 2012-10-31 07:06:15 UTC homeslice60148 wrote: This is the second time
> you have ruined hours of work that I have put into my map with bots.
> Please, please, stop using bots, and stay out of places you don't live in
> and have no knowledge of.
>
>   >>On 31 October 2012 at 12:00 UTC NE2 wrote: What the fuck are you
> talking about?
> >>On 31 October 2012 at 12:01 UTC NE2 wrote: Wait, you mean this?
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/131637116 Why the hell would you
> use a secondary to get between a motorway and a primary? It's you that's
> ruining work by changing every frontage road to secondary.

> OSM wiki: "Primary: A highway that is a main thoroughfare or links larger
> cities and that does not meet any higher criteria. Business route through
> cities. May be multi-lane and have a lot of business’. A very busy and
> important road. 55mph or greater speed limit except in urban areas. In
> rural areas probably has shoulders or breakdown lanes. This covers State
> Highways.

> Rural highways that connects smaller cities although may not be the most
> traveled route. Less busy than Primary with fewer business’. Blvd, Ave,
> most city thorough fairs, freeway feeder roads in urban areas, hard paved,
> striped, 2 or more lanes in each direction of travel, may or may not be
> divided and/or one-way, 45-55mph or greater. May or may not have shoulders.
> Grade crossings controlled by traffic lights with few if any stop signs."

> roads in Texas are secondary roads. I do not expect you to know this, since
> you do not live in the state, and from the situation we had together in
> January, you have not read (or have read and disregarded) the common
> practices of mapping in this area. The road level system DOES NOT mean that
> the road between a motorway and a primary MUST be a primary. This is nearly
> the exact same problem we had in January.
>
> For those who do not know, there was another issue we had together in
> January where NE2 went around the entire state Farm-To-Market highway
> system and used bots to delete a MASSIVE amount of information (some edits
> were so severe that he just left a ref number and a highway tag) with no
> regard to the standard of tagging roads as per the Texas wiki. That's where
> [...]

Clay Smalley
University of Texas at Austin, Class of 2015