[Talk-us] Difficult USA mapper(s)

Jeff Meyer jeff at gwhat.org
Sun Nov 4 05:40:43 GMT 2012

Please see notes below:

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

> Right. So what do you think of the set of rules that I posted a bit ago?
>
> Well... I like mine better. ('natch!) "Pursue the truth & agreement & do
no harm." is a little easier to remember and covers all the cases covered
by the 5 rules put forth.

It seems that, if followed, rules 3-5 will almost certainly create more
confusion than they resolve.

There *is* standardization -- the set of Key and Tag descriptions in
> the Wiki. Everybody should edit the way they describe. If they are
> ambiguous, then you should look at the way people are using the tags,
> and put that into the wiki. If people aren't tagging consistently,
> then you should ask for help.
>
> The whole point is that everything in the database should have a clear
> meaning. It's okay if there are two different ways to enter the same
> thing. Yes, that makes life harder on data consumers, but as long as
> they can understand what a tag means, they can figure out what that
> means for their usage of the map. Chances are good that
> highway=path/bicycle=yes and highway=cycleway will get rendered the
> same way.

I can vouch only for my own perspective, which is that there does not
appear (to me) that everything has clear meaning and that there are many
flavors of standardization. The fact that there are 2 (or more) different
ways to enter the same thing makes meaning less, not more, clear. I do
think this deserves its own thread & will create such a thread (assuming
it's not a retread rethread), but not tonight.

> --
> --my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com
> Crynwr supports open source software
> 521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
> Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog

Jeff Meyer
Global World History Atlas
www.gwhat.org