[Talk-us] Fwd: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Thu Nov 8 17:00:38 GMT 2012

Hello all,

         I think that mapping a "desert" area
could be a good way  to get people involved, because
         1. It's an area that has an urgent need for mapping and
         2.  Much of it is virgin territory, so
even beginning mappers could contribute a lot
just by correcting TIGER street alignments.
         I also think it's a good idea to limit
the area, so we have a good chance of making a visible impact.
         To that end, I would like to suggest
West Virginia. I recently encountered a rural
area of W.V. while doing the Maproulette. Not
only were the roads badly aligned, but the local
TIGER technician named every driveway with the
same name as the street to which it was connected.

Charlotte

>Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:59:13 +0100
>From: Matthias Meißer <digi_c at arcor.de>
>To: talk-us at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [Talk-us] [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement
>  <mailto:talk-us-request at openstreetmap.org?subject=subscribe>
>
>Hi,
>as I don't read any discussions about where and
>what to map, I would like to bring up this essential question again.
>
>Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
>- adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
>- fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
>- focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
>- focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
>- focus on n states (and making there a huge step)
>- ...
>
>cya,
>Matthias

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service,
particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.