[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: Feature proposal: proposed expanded address tagging scheme for US

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Nov 21 23:26:27 GMT 2012

On 11/21/12 6:20 PM, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>         I don't know a lot about this, but apparently there is a
> current effort in the U.S. to improve the addressing in rural areas so
> emergency responders can locate addresses more easily. It might be
> advantageous to look at their addressing scheme to see if there is
> something we can use. It also could be advantageous to be congruent
> with that scheme, if it works for us.
>         Also, this effort could be a source of address data in the
> future.
>         Does anyone have more detail?

i would imagine there is a regional/local component to this. the 911
numbering i've seen
in central iowa is already tuned to provide pretty efficient
specification of addresses. what
they need are better routing solutions.

my emergency response project may move to rural NY volunteer districts
more rapidly
than i expected. if i learn anything about that, i'll report it here.

richard