[Talk-us] street name expansion thoughts

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Nov 26 01:31:20 GMT 2012

On 11/25/2012 8:20 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> however, should we perhaps also run expansion over the addr:street tags at
> the same time?

   No objection here - we can expand the addr:street tag based on its
proximity to the actual street, and therefore the root TIGER tags that
ensure a quality expansion.

> i'm becoming involved in the effort to get house number addressing and
> routing working in mkgmap and it'd be nice if it could be presumed that
> addr:street on an address and name on a street probably matched without
> doing any fooling around.

   One complication is hand-entered street data, which may result in an
abbreviation in addr:street with no TIGER ancestor to trace back for
finding the base name and type for a safe machine expansion.