[Talk-us] Alaska CPD boundaries

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Nov 27 04:22:46 GMT 2012

I must admit I've flipped back and forth on my views on this. I initially
wasn't sure if they should be in but I've convinced myself that they should
be and admin_level=6 is probably the best.

In neither case are we tagging boroughs or CPDs as counties as counties.
We're tagging them as admin_level=6 which is what counties in the other 49
states are tagged as. admin_level=6 isn't automatically associated with
counties.

boundary=administrative is for administrative boundaries, not just
government boundaries. Normally the government boundaries are the most
meaningful ones but here there are no government boundaries. From a data
consumer's perspective I think any analysis done is likely to treat the CPDs
as equivalent to the boroughs. They have their own FIPS codes too.

Now, if someone local were to come and say "the CPDs are meaningless and
irrelevant" or "I say I'm from a CPD the same way someone would say they're
from a borough" I'd be happy and we'd have a good answer but I don't believe
anyone who's commented on the list is a local.