[Talk-us] fixing street names by hand

Charlie Smothers modus.ponens at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 17:45:23 GMT 2012

I've been watching all the discussion about fixing street names, direction prefixes, robots, etc. and want to make sure my efforts don't get wasted.

I have made lots of changes around Sacramento CA to fix streets and alleys that have botched names. N Street was mis-named North Street. And the alley between N Street and O Street was mis-named North Saint O Street Alley.  As I have made changes I focused on the name= tag. And if I happen to notice Tiger tags that are wrong, I either delete them (in the case of N street, removing the tiger:name_direction_prefix=  and fixing the tiger:base_name= ), or I fix them. But often I leave the Tiger tags alone.  If the tiger:name=J St K St then I don't fix the St to Street. I only fix the name= to expand the St to Street

What I'm concerned about is whether my efforts are going to become wiped out if some one (or someone's robot) clobbers my hand edited fixes. If I have eyes-on-the-scene knowledge of what I'm fixing, what should I be doing? Should I remove the tiger tags? Should I include a source= tag? Will this help?

I know that there is no guaranteed way to prevent future changes. I just want to know a best practice to leave a clue for well written robots, map-checkers, and intelligent contributors.
--
Charles