[Talk-us] Imports

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 02:16:57 GMT 2012

(Changing the subject because we seemed to have gotten side-tracked to
imports rather than collecting address information)

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I really don't want to support a complete TIGER address import unless our
> > effort at finding "real" local addressing data fails in some places.
>
> I believe that Richard was speaking about TIGER in the sense of the
> style of import, rather than about the dataset itself.
>
> The issues around TIGER were that it gave us a boost initially, but
> we've been also dealing with the consequences of that import for
> years, and I think Richard is suggesting that we consider our actions
> carefully.

All actions have consequences. Did importing TIGER hamper the OSM community
building in the US or did poor advocacy? Maybe it was the existing vast,
free data ecosystem? Maybe it was simply the sheer size of the country?

> > Just about all the data I've seen is unexpanded. We'll probably have to
> deal
> > with that on a per-county basis (assuming we're not importing TIGER).
>
> Yes, but it's an excellent point- one that should go along with any data
> import.

Yes, we can talk about an import process once we start talking about
importing the addresses.