[Talk-us] Burlington, Vermont road classification

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Oct 18 22:07:12 BST 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Andrew Guertin <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are two active mappers in the Burlington, Vermont area, and we
> disagree about how the roads should be classified, so we're looking for
> more opinions.

If you are both local mappers, I suggest that you actually meet face
to face and share a beverage.  As mappers, you both have much more in
common, in your concerns about this great project, then you have
differences on this small matter of tagging.

Over a coffee, or other beverage of choice, talk and argue about
favourite editor, preferred survey methods, favourite rendering and
the benefits of each of your mapper baseball cards.  Then settle this
little thing about the precise classification of a few local roads.
It doesn't matter how you settle it.  Divide the town in odd-even
blocks, or take roads at the front back half of the alphabet, or take
turns being right from north to south in town.

But settle it.  You two should be enjoying the camaraderie of your
shared interest.  Not fussing over trivialities.  :-)

Now, if only one of you is local, and the difference is purely matter
of opinion, then it's easy.  Local mapper wins by on the ground rule.*

* note: on the ground rule doesn't apply if I'm involved.  Then "I
win" is the rule we go by.  :-)