[Talk-us] Burlington, Vermont road classification

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Oct 18 23:17:16 BST 2012

On 10/18/2012 4:48 PM, Andrew Guertin wrote:
> The most notable example of this is North Willard Street[2]. It is part
> of US Route 7, but as can be seen with Bing Imagery, it is narrow, made
> narrower by street parking on both sides, and is controlled by stop
> signs. Similarly, Main Street is part of US Route 2, but has many
> lights, and does not even satisfy the "near the highest speed generally
> allowed on surface streets" note about secondary streets.

   An uninformed opinion - armchair only, and from a different part of
the country.

  An informal US OSM convention is that US highways are generally a
minimum of primary, no matter how small the highway is when going
through a town.   I would say that this is especially valid when there
are no better driving routes nearby with lower legal classification.
It would be a gray area to me if an alternate state or county route had
better driving attributes (width, speed, traffic control devices etc).