[Talk-us] Whole-US Garmin Map update - 2012-10-15

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Fri Oct 19 14:00:55 BST 2012

On 10/18/2012 08:15 PM, Richard Finegold wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Can or should I seed the torrents?
>>
>>         Yes!!  If you use the .torrent files, please seed.  That web
>>         server is in the UK, and it helps to have some peers on this
>>         side of the Atlantic.
>
> Are statistics available for the torrents or ftp downloads? I've been
> trying recently to get my preferred download -- the 500MB west
> coast/Alaska (currently 500MB-lon_-168.71_to_-118.83.2012-10-15) --
> via torrent instead of ftp, but the seeding doesn't seem very
> consistent (typically 1 or 0 seeds, right now just 1 peer and no
> seeds). I've been seeding the 10-12, but so far no takers (0 bytes
> uploaded).

I don't have any hard data since I don't actually have access to the
logs on the web server.

Anecdotally, the torrents tend to have ratios between 1 and 2 from my
side, but they're rarely higher than that.  They haven't been popular,
but it's all scripted so it's not a horrible inconvenience to continue
creating them.  It's also handy for me to have a local copy that I don't
have to download manually.

BTW, I just checked...  My 10-15 set filled up the disk I download them
to, so I haven't been seeding them personally.