[Talk-us] Night of the Living Maps

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Oct 26 01:14:32 GMT 2012

On 10/25/2012 12:34 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>   We're
> talking about promoting a US project like fixing TIGER deserts / Ghost
> towns[1] for the next NOTLM (date to be set). Good idea?

   I would say that this is a good idea.   If a curious person (non-OSM
contributor) were to look at a garbled set of TIGER streets, they might
not even start with basic contributions such as verifying the streets
where they live and work, or adding POI.   Learning how to correct those
TIGER streets would be a huge obstacle.

   So my input would be to find not only TIGER deserts, but those which
appear to have been created from GPSs carried before the GPS signals
were unscrambled.   Generally, these were entire counties.   Some of the
TIGER datasets have been updated to current technology standards.
Detecting this could be by comparing the alignment of unedited OSM to
latest TIGER.

   Otherwise, I'm not sure how to tell if a TIGER desert was good to
begin with, or just never touched as well as being far out of alignment.