[Talk-us] What to do with unnamed NHD streams

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Mon Oct 29 05:35:53 GMT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Paul Norman wrote:

> [...]

There are ways around this, by first de-duping the shared edges or nodes. Topology preservation is not terribly difficult if you prepare your data, for example by splitting lines and polygons at intersections (as in your lake example), simplifying only the parts and then reconstructing the original geometries.

> I would *really* like to be able to simplify prior to ogr2osm as it would
> dramatically decrease the size of the nodes data in-memory and decrease
> conversion time, I just can't see how to do it prior to processing.
>
> JOSM's simplify ways function works okay, although it doesn't deal with the
> case of two ways sharing nodes very well.

Do you have any sample NHD extracts that might be usable for a test drive?

-mike.

michal migurski- mike at stamen.com
                 415.558.1610