[Talk-us] [Imports] What to do with unnamed NHD streams

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Oct 29 15:36:48 GMT 2012

Frequently I end up having to search for a particular FCode online to find
the relevant docs.

NHD 2.0 has the data model (but not FCodes) described at
http://nhd.usgs.gov/NHDDataDictionary_model2.0.pdf

NHD 2.1 has a poster at http://nhd.usgs.gov/NHDv2.1_poster_3_23_2012.pdf but
it does not fully describe some of the FCodes.

http://nhd.usgs.gov/userGuide/Robohelpfiles/NHD_User_Guide/Feature_Catalog/H
ydrography_Dataset/Complete_FCode_List.htm is the most complete FCode list
although the descriptions are often very terse.

The pre-staged data is at
ftp://nhdftp.usgs.gov/DataSets/Staged/SubRegions/PersonalGDB/HighResolution/
or ftp://nhdftp.usgs.gov/DataSets/Staged/SubRegions/FileGDB/HighResolution/

I've found that looking at the documentation alone is not ideal. There are
subtle oddities to NHD that you will only pick up by examining the data.

The comments in
https://github.com/pnorman/ogr2osm-translations/blob/us_nhd/us_nhd.py are my
notes which might be somewhat helpful.