[Talk-us] Announcing Remap-a-tron

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sat Sep 1 16:11:02 BST 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:54 AM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 September 2012 15:28, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> > On 8/31/2012 11:17 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> >>
> >> I want to add The Remap-A-Tron to the ever growing list of tools
> >> designed to support the ongoing remapping effort.
> >

> >   That's a fantastic application!
>
> Isn't this because it directly uses the data that OSM is not supposed
> to use?  I guess it's less of a problem with roads in the continental
> US, but elsewhere, when a user is pointed at a possibly blank spot on
> a map with no imagery available, you can only expect them to attempt
> to copy what they saw in the application.

I have been thinking about that. As you are saying, there is not likely to
be an issue when there is aerial imagery available for the area that can be
used as the primary source for remapping. If there is none, the user might
need to apply a different primary source other than the tainted geometry to
be in the clear. If and when the tool expands coverage to other areas with
imagery coverage that is not as high quality or even missing altogether, we
may be able to do something with the imagery tile metadata (the same data I
pull for http://mvexel.dev.openstreetmap.org/bing/) - apply the tool only
where there is likely to be detailed enough imagery. The way the tool is
set up, the likelihood of the user having local knowledge about the area is
very small, so the tool really makes little sense without aerial imagery
coverage.

Martijn

--
martijn van exel