[Talk-us] Consensus on "SR" for state route versus state abbreviation?

Minh Nguyen mxn at 1ec5.org
Tue Sep 18 11:27:06 BST 2012

On 2012-09-12 7:14 PM, Clay Smalley wrote:
> It was mainly NE2 that went around changing everything to SR and SH. I'm
> pretty sure the consensus has always been the postal abbreviation.

In Ohio, "SR 123" is used on blade signage and other places where the
state route shield isn't appropriate. I've seen "SH 123" in plenty of
similar situations in Texas.

Vid the Kid and I did much of the original ref= tagging in Ohio. We
originally used "US:OH 123" for awhile before mostly switching to "SR
123", long before NE2 took an interest in the state. In fact, NE2
started out by changing all the state routes to "123" and county routes
to "(123)", which didn't last too long.

So far, newer Ohioan mappers seem to have gone along with the "SR 123"
convention, while out-of-staters periodically attempt to "disambiguate"
the ref= tags near state lines. So the current inconsistency between
states is more of a conspiracy than a one-man crusade. :)

--
Minh Nguyen <mxn at 1ec5.org>
Jabber: mxn at 1ec5.org; Blog: http://notes.1ec5.org/