[Talk-us] Remap-a-tron level 2 complete! Suggestions for level 3?

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Sep 28 19:02:52 BST 2012

On 9/28/2012 11:28 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> That would be a pretty complex query, for the following reasons:
> * Similar naming may be obvious to a human observer, but can be really
> hard to detect algorithmically.
> * Similar geometry can be hard to detect because of split / combined
> ways so you would have to go segment by segment, or something.
>
> I'm happy to take suggestions for a query to make this work though, I
> agree it would be useful.

   The similar naming may be a difficult problem, but how about TIGER
2012 ways with names, while the OSM way which includes this section have
no name at all?

    An advanced case is to join TIGER ways having the same road type and
name, then compare those to OSM.   I don't think this is necessary
however the purposes of a rematron.   It will create a number of
separate sections in an area to be called out as work units, which are
generally mapped from Bing as a single way.  Perhaps nearby sections of
the same name could be checked for and combined when a work unit is
selected.

 >How many of those are there? They would only be candidates if they
 >actually have names. How would we know this?

   I also saw many driveways / tracks originally set as residential
before redaction on the last Remapatron level.    It's frequently hard
to classify these from even good aerials alone.   The Name/No Name test
above will at least call out those having TIGER names and those without
TIGER names are best left to locals.