[Talk-us] Remap-a-tron level 2 complete! Suggestions for level 3?

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Sat Sep 29 18:05:09 BST 2012

         I also think it would be great, if we could focus on
unedited TIGER. That would clean up the map a lot. There may be some
technical challenges, but overal it would be a good thing.
         I know someone suggested roads without a name, though I
think there was discussion that would be technically difficult and
also might produce a lot of focus on country roads and tracks that
never have had a name. However, if we limit it to roads changed by
the redaction, that might be one way to restore the names from TIGER
that were lost.
         Some things I would like to see in the future include
editing all the national parks. I know that there is data on their
Web sites, which, I think, is all public domain. That would be a good
thing to do.

Best,

Charlotte

At 12:40 AM 9/29/2012, you wrote:

>I think the most necessary cleanup to the USA OSM data is to clean
>up all the crazy unedited original Tiger roads.
>
>These can easily be identified simply as those ways that have a name
>but are still the original Tiger data and have not been edited.
>(except for the balrog-kun bot). You could just identify spots not
>closer together than (say) 1 mile and that would allow the editor to
>have a nice piece of real estate to clean up each time.
>It is quite fun doing this since (with the help of TIGER 2012)
>overlay and Bing imagery, it is usually possible to determine which
>road goes where and you see an enormous improvement in the map for
>relatively small efforts.
>
>If the remap-a-tron identifies an area where all the original; TIGER
>data was correct, then no problems, we just flag it as good and move
>on, but at least that area has now been eyeballed by a real person
>who probably will be able to add in a few new TIGER 2012 roads if
>they have the overlay active.

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.