[Talk-us] Proposed small import of UTA bus stops

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sun Apr 21 03:44:23 UTC 2013

Hi all,

During the edit-a-thon today I finally got around to working on
preparing a relatively small import of bus stop point data for the UTA
service area (comprising a half dozen counties along the Utah Wasatch
Front). There are ~6450 bus stops in the data I got from my contact at
UTA. This data is being released to the public through the Utah GIS data
portal [1], but the data I got directly from UTA is more recent (Dec 2012).

Data processing consisted of removing empty and irrelevant fields, and
sanitizing the fields that are relevant. I kept:
COUNTY --> is_in:county
CITY --> is_in:city
ACCESS --> wheelchair = yes|limited|no
BENCH --> bench = yes|no
LOCATIONID --> uta:stop_id

I checked the existing bus stop data and there are 92 existing nodes. I
have saved these as an OSM file and intend to manually conflate these
after the fact. This will mean most existing bus stop nodes will be
removed, I spot checked a dozen and so far did not find a any added
value. There are a few non-UTA stops (Airport parking lot shuttle stops
etc) that will be retained.

The source data I received can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyxdhf9hlpuc9z8/BusStops_UTA_shp.zip

The processed data can be found in OSM XML format here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3c0tsgfhlc6izx/busstops_uta.osm

Future updates will be handled using the persistent uta:stop_id. A new
stops file is released around once a year.

Light rail stops are captured in a separate dataset that I do not intend
to  import, as these stops and stations are mostly already captured in
greater detail in OSM.

I am running this by all of you because I have not really done any
external data imports before. This is a relatively small one, but I
would like your opinion on the following:

* Is this data import properly prepared?
* If not, which steps should I revisit / add and how?
* Do you recommend using a separate account for uploading the external data?

Looking forward to your feedback.
Martijn

[1] http://gis.utah.gov/data/sgid-transportation/transit/
--