[Talk-us] Shields are up!

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 04:30:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM, James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> I'm curious, but has a solution been found for the problem with the PA
> Turnpike because of having to split up the ways into separate ones for each
> direction because of the relation getting close to the "1000 way" limit
> we've imposed?
>
> I still think that using the "super" relation I created to tie the route
> together could be used instead for applying the shields over the separate
> ways for each direction.

I'm not sure why/how directional relations would be a problem; I have the
signed part of I-22 labeled with separate east/west relations yet there
aren't 2x the number of I-22 shields as there are US 78 shields (which is a
single relation).

http://tile.openstreetmap.us/osmus_shields/preview.html#13/33.6875/-87.0588

(For routing applications we probably want directional relations anyway,
since directional heuristics based on geography aren't always right in
terms of the signed/"logical" route direction.)

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com>

Website: http://www.cnlawrence.com/