[Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Tue Aug 20 22:42:46 UTC 2013

I'd be more excited by a proposal to de-dupe GNIS data... but the tag
cleanup is basically OK.
It would be nice if the editors more loudly removed these tags.  Silent is
bad. That said:

*Explicitly Preserve:* gnis:feature_id gnis:id
*Consider deprecating*: gnis:edited, gnis:Cell, gnis:review,
gnis:import_UUID, import_uuid=gnis.*

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to conclude that natural=peak is the only use
for ele=.  Any aeroway tag is a candidate to keep.  But definitely keep the
ele=, it's useful, and the best we have in many many many cases, despite
limited resolution.

I've created a wiki page so that editors which link to the wiki have
somewhere to go:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:gnis:feature_id