[Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

Kevin Kenny kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Aug 21 01:24:18 UTC 2013

On 08/20/2013 04:54 PM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> In addition, I suggest that we remove two other tags conditionally.
>
> I suggest we remove the "ele" tag unless the tag natural=peak is
> present and that we remove "source" if the value for that tag is "USGS
> Geonames" (which is just GNIS).penny stove

ele= is certainly meaningful for aeroways. And I suspect that the
UUID will be meaningful when trying to cross-reference back to the
original data.

On 08/20/2013 06:04 PM, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> go for it.
> actually the ele tag is quite wrong on peaks and should be removed too
> or renamed to something like estimated ele

Please don't. If you want to add a tag like ele:status=estimated, that
would be a better solution. There's always imprecision in elevations;
even GPS usually has considerable vertical dilution of position. An
elevation derived from photogrammetric contour lines is better than no
elevation at all.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin