[Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

Ivan Privaci epicanis+osmus at bigroom.org
Thu Aug 22 03:06:03 UTC 2013

> On Aug 21, 2013, at 10:19, Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The ele tag is of unknown accuracy. It can be off by much more for
> > mountains. This is the case when it's a real steep cliff between the
> > sampling of NED data. found one peak where it was off by 300ft this is
> > simply wrong and not useful.>
> I'm hesitant to simply remove everything simply because some are inaccurate.
> I'd prefer to find a way to fix the incorrect ones.
>
> Darrell

I'm a shiny new inexperienced guy here, but I tend to agree with this for
what that's worth. I saw someone else suggest applying "ele:status=estimated"
for the GNIS-derived elevation tags.

I would also suggest that it's possible some of those "ele=" tags might potentially have been
added or corrected previously, so this process would remove those tags with the GNIS ones, right?
(Or am I mistaken about them getting removed? Like I said, I'm "shiny new"...)

In any case, my personal opinion is that having "rough" elevation data is better than
having none at all.