[Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM mapping in the USA?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Dec 1 07:00:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:

>  On 11/30/13 6:45 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>

>  10) decent automotive mounts for 7" tablets are out
>>     there. i'm going to try one with the Nexus 7 for my
>>     christmas vacation trip from NY state to NC.
>>

>  I'd be curious how the N7 handles Osmand in horizontal mode and what
> mount you use, and how well it sticks in cold weather (my Dynex mount loses
> it's grip unexpectedly in cold weather, which is quite a surprise when I
> hit the start of a toll zone (with a rumble strip) and the the vibration
> from crossing the strip suddenly causes my N5 fly off.
>
>   the N7 does horizontal mode pretty well; i'm pretty pleased with
> the N7 overall. now that i have an old (2 1/2 year old) HTC Android
> set up, i'm switching the N7 over to OSMTracker.

Is this instead of OsmAnd?  OSMTracker doesn't do navigation or mapping,
which was something of a dealbreaker for me before.

i'm currently using a Satechi "universal" dashboard mount for
> the N7 and am happy with it so far, atlhough we've only just
> now started into seriously cold weather in these parts.

Link?  Not sure I know the mount you're talking about.  The Dynex one I
mentioned is in every Best Buy and then some.  Granted,
center-of-the-continent requirements are somewhat odd, I literally need
something that holds to the windshield in -40°F on the low end and +140°F
on the high end, from roughly 32"Hg on the high end to potentially -1"Hg
(as recorded by my Garmin Oregon having* actually* been through a tornado).
 I don't mind occasionally reseating a suction mount, but for one to just
pop off the windshield for bascially no reason immediately after seating it
in cold weather is inexcusable for me.  Basically, if I'm having to reseat
it more than once a month, or it pops off randomly for less than a 50°F or
10"Hg shift in temperature or pressure, I'm really unsure if it's up to
par.  The low end of pressure and temperature is strongly important to me
(strongly low pressures and strongly low temperatures present mortal
weather threats, when I'd rather be listening for cues while watching the
road than worried that I'm about to miss a turn).  Garmin has suction
mounts that can deal with this kind of tolerance (even if mkgmap can't hold
up to functionality standards for my situation).  I'm not joking when I say
I'm looking for a mount that 99.9% of the population can stick to their
window and never, ever think about again (since roughly that much of the
globe's population lives within insignificant distance of an ocean or
inland sea, and thus largely flattening out elevation changes and
temperature ranges).

Ideally, I'll only have to restick the mount due to strongly extreme shifts
in temperature and pressure, if at all.  And if I do, I should be able to
stick it at pressure extremes at temperatures far below freezing.  This is
par for the course in the southern Plains, and I can only imagine central
Canada and the northern central US having even larger ranges than I have to
deal with on temperature (though pressure's kind of a regionalism to some
degree).

i'm using an iOttie mount for the oldish HTC. it's a pretty
> nice mount.

Never seen it.