[Talk-us] a reminder for armchair mappers

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Dec 6 17:29:45 UTC 2013

That is a great point and something I feel strongly about, having
created armchair mapper's tools like Battle Grid and Maproulette.

I will make some time to put in a warning notice into these tools that
would pop up the first time folks use it. What would a good, concise,
cautionary note look like?

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> if you see a discrepancy between aerial imagery and OSM, before you
> go adding/changing stuff, check on the history of the stuff that's there
> and see if another mapper has worked on things recently (for some
> value of recently.) i have done a bunch of work in the past month
> adding in a new traffic circle on US 4 in Rensselaer County, NY,
> using GPS traces. as part of the process,  i removed a slip ramp
> from I-90 that was taken out by DOT when they built the new
> circle. i just now discovered that another mapper added the slip
> ramp back in, presumably because it's in the Bing imagery, which
> is at this point 2 or 3 years old.
>
> this isn't the first time i've been through this; a year or so back
> a couple of armchair mappers repeatedly changed a part of Troy
> to match obsolete imagery and i kept having to ask them not to
> and put back in the recent changes. i now put README tags on
> the ways but if i delete something i have no place to put a
> README tag.
>
> imagery goes out of date. armchair mappers must never forget
> that. if the imagery doesn't match the map, contact a local mapper
> if you can identify one. you could be fixing something that wasn't
> actually broken.
>
> thanks,
>    richard

Martijn van Exel