[Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State highways.

Kam, Kristen -(p) kristenk at telenav.com
Fri Dec 6 18:43:21 UTC 2013

Thanks for the reply Martijn.

There is a lot of talk about capture unsigned/signed information in the relation. And I've read some proposals of adding to the role field--delimiting values by a pipe or semi-colon. I think that if there is interest to capture information about a way/node's relationship (i.e., signed or unsigned, direction, etc ) to the relation it is a member of, then why not either modify the role data type to capture tags (hstore) or add another field to the table of a relations' members to capture such information (hstore, again)?

I acknowledge that many applications depend on the existing OSM data model. Changing the data type of existing fields would cause issues in existing applications. That said, I think it may be worth exploring *adding* a field to the existing data model. After all we are talking about adding information to existing relations about highway direction and whether or not they are signed.

Something I've been thinking about while following these conversations.

Best,

Kristen

---

OSM Profile → http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/KristenK