[Talk-us] Tags to use for chain stores in the United States

Will Skora skorasaurus at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 15:49:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

At past OSM meetups that I've organized, new mappers have asked me
what shop=* tags to use for several chain stores in the USA and I had
not found any clear or consistent practices of what tags to use for
these stores and even as a relatively experienced mapper, I wasn't
sure what tags to encourage them to use.

I am writing to hear what you've used, which ones are most popular,
and perhaps the US community could build a consensus on them (gasp!).

For example, several chain stores that we have wondered about include:
K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar,
'Bed, Bath, and Beyond'; TJ Maxx; Marshall's; Radio Shack; Meijer's;
Kohl's; Costco; BJ's; and Big Lots.

I know there's taginfo (including one for the US!
taginfo.openstreetmap.us) but unfortunately, it doesn't let you find
out what tag combinations are being used with a name=* (For example,
finding what tag is used most often with name=Dollar-General).

Regards,
Will Skora