[Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State highways.

Peter Davies peter.davies at crc-corp.com
Sat Dec 21 05:33:41 UTC 2013

Martijn,

Roads like I 394 west of downtown Minneapolis have several miles of
collector-distributor lanes (separate carriageways running parallel to the
main motorway carriageways) in each direction whose purpose is to handle
slower entering and leaving traffic without creating dangerous "short
weaving sections" between closley spaced intersections  The Highway
Capacity Manual is the world's bible on this subject.  Sorry if I'm
teaching my grandma how to suck eggs, as we say in one country or other
that I sometimes inhabit.  In OSM we show these are motorway_link, like
ramps.  Therefore they do not have route designators (ref tags on the ways).

Roads like the New Jersey Twp approaching NYC and (on a less dramatic
scale) parts of the "Ike" in Chicago (Eisenhower freeway, I 90;I 94) have
entire carriageways or sets of physically separated lanes running parallel
to one another, each of the four carriageways perhaps (last time I was in
NJ) having 3 directional lanes and one or two shoulders.  So there could be
two northbound motorway carriageways and two southbound.  The outer
carriageways are designated "Local" and the inner carriageways (with fewer
exits) are designated "Express". I 5 through downtown Seattle also has
elevated carriageways designed "Express" as I recall.  The surface level
lanes (or in deep cuttings) are "Local."  The Autoroute A6 entering Paris
has the same thing after A6 and A10 merge until A6 (and implicitly A10)
reaches the Boulevard Peripherique.  These parallel roadways are called A6a
and A6b.  In the States, they are termed nearly always "Express" and
"Local" (though I think I've seen other naming too, but I'm not sure
where).  Sorry if you knew all of this already.

I guess the idea would be that the directional roles will be
"north|express" or "north|local", etc.

I hope that this was helpful ...  oops.  :$

Peter