[Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State highways.

Peter Davies peter.davies at crc-corp.com
Sat Dec 21 21:20:57 UTC 2013

Last night I wrote a long discussion of why I think we need to show the
cardinal directions of both OSM forward and OSM backward for 2-way ways
that serve both route directions in relation member roles.

In particular I argued for the use of two different symbols for two use
cases: one where the tag value is compound, like "east:unsigned" or
"north:express", and the other where there are two values to convey, e.g.,
"east;west" meaning OSM forward on this way is posted "east" and OSM
backward on this way is posted "west".

On further reflection, I think Martijn's pipe symbol example for an ordered
list of lane speeds, e.g., "60|60|40" across Lane 1, Lane 2, and Lane 3,
also applies to my wish to show the posted cardinal direction on a 2-way
single carriageway. Thus, "east|west" would mean that the OSM forward
direction lanes are posted "East" and the OSM backward direction lanes are
posted "West."

Combined with the use of the colon for compound values, we would have
examples like

"east:unsigned|west:unsigned"
"north|south:unsigned"
"north|east"

The two symbols are visually distinctive for human readers, and this also
would continue the practice of using the pipe symbol to represent lanes or
sets of lanes on a roadway.

On the Kennedy Expressway (I 90;I 94) out of Chicago, I think the three
carriageway roles might be

"east"
"reversible:east|west"     This would indicate that OSM foward serves as
"east" at times, and ODM backward serves at other times as "west".
"west"

Currently the median express lanes are coded with roles "reversable".

If the central carriageway ways were to use OSM forward as westbound, I
would suggest that they should ideally be swapped around, or otherwise
coded as "reversible:west|east".

****

Earlier I had conflated the "Ike" / Eisenhower Expressway (I 290) with the
Kennedy Expressway (I 90;I 94).  Sorry.

Peter