[Talk-us] Reaching out to Local User Groups

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 03:43:39 GMT 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> I was basically alone starting the Seattle group for many months. We had a
> lot of churn (one person come one month, then a different person the next…)

Exactly.

MappingDC, when we started it, was four people, and now it's probably
the most active local OSM community in the US.

In New York, I had to start again. If you post on Meetup.com and do
nothing else, you'll find people who are curious. A lot of people will
show up for one meeting and you'll never see them again. But over time
(and it can be a long time) you'll find people who have the same
interest and will become your regulars.

If you have special events, or work with other local communities
(cycling communities in particular), you'll find interested parties.

Mapping parties get a lot of attention, but the truth is that the best
thing you can do is to be consistent, and to get your event listed in
the right places.

- Serge